Fall 2017 Healing Through the Body
I’m excited to announce that Stacy Torres, a queer Xican@ practitioner, and I are offering a somatic healing group for queer social justice folks. We will center queer folks of color, while encouraging all queer identified folks to apply.
This group will introduce somatics as a strategy for healing the impacts of individual and collective trauma.
We will meet every Tuesday night from 6:30-9:00 pm in central Seattle for ten weeks starting September 12th and going through November 14th, 2017. We ask that you commit to attending every session (barring emergencies).
This group will introduce:
• A somatic understanding of how trauma and oppression impact individuals and communities.
• Body-centered practices for accessing resilience, experiencing mutual connection, and being present amidst deep emotion and transformation.
• Processes for transforming trauma and oppression through somatic awareness and skills building.
• Witnessing one another in our somatic processes of healing and transformation.
From the Generative Somatics orientation, the aim of healing is to create more choice, more well-being and the ability to take more powerful and effective action in our lives and in the world. We don’t see healing as separate from our participation in our communities, the world, and social change, but rather as an essential part of it.
In order to meet the facilitators’ access needs, the group will be held in the Central District neighborhood of Seattle at a facilitator’s fragrance free house, which is not wheelchair accessible and is home to two cats. Please be in touch if you are interested in the group and it is not accessible to you.
The fee for this training is $420.00 ($42/class). We will hold one scholarship spot at $210.00 ($21/class). Please indicate in your application if you are applying for a scholarship spot. Participation is limited and application is required.
Please email us if you have questions: Wendy (wsomerson(at)gmail.com) and Stacy (awake.alive.aligned(at)gmail.com). To apply, please fill out this online application by August 23rd. We will get back to you by September 5th.
About the facilitators:
• Stacy Torres is a queer Xican@ femme who is a founding member of The Well on Beacon and has been studying somatics since 2011.
• Wendy Elisheva Somerson is a queer Jewish somatic practitioner who has been studying somatics since 2010.